PayPal has developed this Privacy Statement to explain how we may collect, retain, process, share and transfer your personal data when you visit Paypal Sites or use Paypal’s Services. This Privacy Statement applies to your Personal Data when you visit Sites or use Services, and does not apply to online websites or services that we do not own or control, including websites or services of other PayPal Users.
How Do We Process Personal Data?
We may Process your Personal Data for a variety of reasons that are justified under data protection laws in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
- To operate the Sites and provide the Services, including to:
- initiate a payment, send or request money, add value to an account, or pay a bill
- authenticate your access to an Account
- communicate with you about your Account, the Sites, the Services, or PayPal
- create an account connection between your Account and a third-party account or platform
- perform creditworthiness and other financial standing checks, evaluate applications, and compare information for accuracy and verification purposes,
- keep your Account and financial information up to date.
- To manage our business needs, such as monitoring, analysing, and improving the Services and the Sites’ performance and functionality. For example, we analyse User behavior and perform research about the way you use our Services.
- To manage risk and protect the Sites, the Services and you from fraud by verifying your identity. PayPal’s risk and fraud tools use Personal Data, Device Information, Technical Usage Data, and Geolocation Information from our Sites and websites that offer PayPal Services to help detect and prevent fraud and abuse of the Services.
- To comply with our obligations and to enforce the terms of our Sites and Services, including to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- For our legitimate interests, including to:
- enforce the terms of our Sites and Services;
- manage our everyday business needs, such as monitoring, analysing;
- manage risk, fraud, and abuse of PayPal Services;
- anonymise Personal data in order to provide aggregated statistical data to third parties, including other businesses and members of the public, about how, when, and why Users visit our Sites and use our Services; and
- provide personalised Services (also called interest-based marketing) offered by PayPal on third-party websites and online services. We may use your Personal Data and other information collected in accordance with this Privacy Statement to provide a targeted display, feature or offer to you on third-party websites.
- With your consent, including to:
- To market to you about PayPal products and Services and the products and services of unaffiliated businesses. We may also Process your Personal Data to tailor the marketing content and certain Services or Site experiences to better match your interests on PayPal and other third-party websites.
- To provide you with location-specific options, functionality or offers if you elect to share your Geolocation Information through the Services. We will use this information to enhance the security of the Sites and Services and provide you with location-based Services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalised (also called interest-based marketing) content.
- To make it easier for you to find and connect with others, we may use your information you have shared with the Service to suggest connections between you and people you may know. For example, we may associate information that we learn about you through your and your contacts’ use of the Services, and information you and others provide to suggest people you may know or may want to transact with through our Services. Social functionality and features designed to simplify your use of the Services with others vary by Service.
- To respond to your requests, for example to contact you about a question you submitted to our customer service team.
5. Do We Share Personal Data?
We may share your Personal Data or other information about you with others in a variety of ways as described in this section of the Privacy Statement. We may share your Personal Data or other information for the following reasons:
With other members of the PayPal corporate family: We may share your Personal Data with members of the PayPal family of entities to, among other things, provide the Services you have requested or authorised; to manage risk; to help detect and prevent potentially illegal and fraudulent acts and other violations of our policies and agreements and to help us manage the availability and connectivity of PayPal products, Services, and communications.
With other companies that provide services to us: We share Personal Data with third-party service providers that perform services and functions at our direction and on our behalf. These third-party service providers may, for example, provide you with Services, verify your identity, assist in processing transactions, send you advertisements for our products and services, or provide customer support.
With other financial institutions: We share Personal Data with other financial institutions that we have partnered with to jointly create and offer a product. These financial institutions may only use this information to market and offer PayPal-related products, unless you have given consent for other uses. We may also share Personal Data to process transactions, provide you with benefits associated with your eligible cards, and keep your financial information up to date.
With the other parties to transactions when you use the Services, such as other Users, merchants, and their service providers: We may share information about you and your Account with the other parties involved in processing your transactions. This includes other Users you are sending or receiving funds from and merchants, and their service providers. The information might include:
- Personal Data and Account information necessary to facilitate the transaction;
- Personal Data to help other participant(s) resolve disputes and detect and prevent fraud; and
- Anonymous data and performance analytics to help merchants better understand the uses of our Services and to help merchants enhance Users’ experiences.
With other third parties for our business purposes or as permitted or required by law: We may share information about you with other parties for PayPal’s business purposes or as permitted or required by law, including:
- if we need to do so to comply with a law, legal process or regulations;
- to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or other third parties pursuant to a subpoena, a court order or other legal process or requirement applicable to PayPal or PayPal’s corporate family;
- if we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of Personal Data is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity;
- to protect the vital interests of a person;
- with credit agencies and data processors for credit reference checks and anti-fraud and compliance purposes;
- to investigate violations of or enforce a user agreement or other legal terms applicable to any Service;
- to protect our property, Services and legal rights;
- to facilitate a purchase or sale of all or part of PayPal’s business;
- in connection with shipping and related services for purchases made using a Service;
- to help assess and manage risk and prevent fraud against us, our Users and fraud involving our Sites or use of our Services, including fraud that occurs at or involves our business partners, strategic ventures, or other individuals, and merchants, such as eBay, Inc.;
- to banking partners as required by card association rules for inclusion on their list of terminated merchants;
- to credit reporting and collection agencies;
- to companies that we plan to merge with or be acquired by; and
- to support our audit, compliance, and corporate governance functions.
With your consent: We also will share your Personal Data and other information with your consent or direction, including if you authorise an account connection with a third-party account or platform.
In addition, PayPal may provide aggregated statistical data to third-parties, including other businesses and members of the public, about how, when, and why Users visit our Sites and use our Services. This data will not personally identify you or provide information about your use of the Sites or Services. We do not share your Personal Data with third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent.
How Do We Work with Other Services and Platforms?
A significant benefit and innovation of PayPal’s Services is that you can connect your Account with a third-party account or platform. For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, an “account connection” with such a third-party is a connection you authorise or enable between your Account and a non-PayPal account, payment instrument, or platform that you lawfully control or own. When you authorise such a connection, PayPal and the third-party will exchange your Personal Data and other information directly. Examples of account connections include:
- linking your Account to a social media account or social messaging service;
- connecting your Account to a third-party data aggregation or financial services company, if you provide such company with your Account log-in credentials; or
- using your Account to make payments to a merchant or allowing a merchant to charge your Account.
If you choose to create an account connection, we may receive information from the third-party about you and your use of the third-party’s service. For example, if you connect your Account to a social media account, we will receive Personal Data from the social media provider via the account connection. If you connect your Account to other financial accounts, directly or through a third-party service provider, we may have access to your account balance and transactional information, such as purchases and funds transfers. We will use all such information that we receive from a third-party via an account connection in a manner consistent with this Privacy Statement.
Information that we share with a third-party based on an account connection will be used and disclosed in accordance with the third-party’s privacy practices. Before authorising an account connection, you should review the privacy notice of any third-party that you authorised to have an account connection that will gain access to your Personal Data as part of the account connection. For example, Personal Data that PayPal shares with a third-party account or platform such as a social media account may in turn be shared with certain other parties, including the general public, depending on the account’s or platform’s privacy practices.
Do Not Track (DNT) is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking by advertisers and other third-parties. We do not respond to DNT signals.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Data?
We maintain technical, physical, and administrative security measures designed to provide reasonable protection for your Personal Data against loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, and alteration. The security measures include firewalls, data encryption, physical access controls to our data centres, and information access authorisation controls. While we are dedicated to securing our systems and Services, you are responsible for securing and maintaining the privacy of your password(s) and Account/profile registration information and verifying that the Personal Data we maintain about you is accurate and current. We are not responsible for protecting any Personal Data that we share with a third-party based on an account connection that you have authorised.
What Are Your Rights?
Subject to limitations set out in EEA data protection laws, you have certain rights in respect of your Personal Data. In particular, you have a right of access, rectification, restriction, opposition, erasure and data portability. Please contact us if you wish to exercise these rights. If you wish to complete an access request to all personal data that PayPal holds on you, please note that photo identity will be required to prove your identity.
If you have an Account with any of our Services, you generally can review and edit Personal Data in the Account by logging in and updating the information directly. We may use automated decision-making for decisions concerning credit with your consent or where necessary for the entry into or performance of a contract or authorised by Union or Member state law.
You may contact us if you have general questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement and supplemental notices or the way in which we handle your Personal Data. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stherb Cosmetics International Co., Ltd.